A young woman. A calculated act. The close knit bond of extraordinary women leading ordinary lives. True is a stunning tale, which beautifully weaves these dynamic characters and their pristine wild environment, their families and the animals they love, into what undoubtedly becomes a story one will never forget. “A lesson in healing, strength and courage, and above all, the magnificence of true friendship."

Thursday, March 1, 2012

February 22, 2012

True has taken a life of its own. My visualization comes from the cover, I picture the story flying away on the wings of the butterfly.

Feedback has been positive and interesting. I'm surprised that men have like it. (see reviews on Facebook and amazon.com) although basically a woman's journey, there are both flawed and wonderful male characters. The interaction between the men and women whether violent and psychotic or the tender feelings exchanged between High School sweethearts Emma and Liam now 58 experiencing EE (you didn't know what EE is? It's elder erotica :)) Anyone out there wanting to address this?

So True is going out into the world, to agents, publishers, authors I admire, Bradbury, Kingsolver and the spirit of John Steinbeck. And as the story tells itself to a growing number of people through bookstores, (Winter River in Bandon Oregon just took it) Amazon.com and Wise Women Ink, I am going out with it! I have been invited by a local advocacy Library group,CovertwoCover http://covertwocover.org%20to/ to spend March 10th from 6-8 pm to discuss True and my experience along with Lani Phillips, in the independent publishing world. I'm excited to (and nervous) discuss my diverse writing path with the good folks that come out. Talking about an inward, introverted creative process that took 9 long years to finish is a switch for my brain, To bring something so inner and intimate out is a challenge but I am enjoying the adventure. My friend and fellow writer Donna gave me a necklace recently that is a antique typewriter key, actually it is the SHIFT key on a chain, I will remember to wear it. Putting ourselves in new, sometimes scary situations helps us to grow. I hope you are also focusing on inner and outer growth and that you can be joyous in the process~ Melinda

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read your book yet, it was recently recommended to me by a friend from home (Shasta). I just want to wish you much joy and fortune as you set forth on this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My good-book routine is to read before bed for a bit and then lights out. There were quite a few late nights well-past my reasonable bed time with your book, Melinda. Your descriptions, characters, and moments were so tangible. Thanks for the ride and thanks for sharing!
    From a fellow "shifter" in your county :)

    ReplyDelete